Mars Miniatures

Mars Miniatures

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Dwarves Of Legend Box Set & "The White Dwarf"

Its that time again! Oldhammer dwarves in the house... or Mines of Moria, rather.  We start with the Dwarves of Legend box set (from 1985), with 8 famous Dwarf Lords and fantastic retro 80s art by the inimitable John Blanche to top it off.  I did not have this as a kid in the 80s, but I did have the Heroic Fighters of the Known World box set, which makes me want to re-purchase that again (but I needs must concentrate on stunties. Oh and orcses!)  Also on this post, I have 20 dwarves that I purchased relatively cheaply on ebay.  These are more wonderful Citadel dwarves to add to my ever growing old school collection.  While I do have Ral Partha, Hasslefree, Reaper and more figures in my painting queue, the oldhammer lead will always jump to the front of the line.  Lastly, you will see some new terrain, but only glimpses of it.  Dont worry, you will see its full splendor in the next post.  As per usual, we advance the storyline of the Moria Reclamation Project a wee bit, but I promise a proper battle report will accompany the full reveal of the new terrain perhaps next week. 

Alrighty then!  Onwards to pics and text...


That artwork makes me think of the Lone Wolf "choose your own adventure"-like books of my youth.

King Gorrin, Slayed Gorbald the Gruesome greenskin at the battle of Drakkaz-Snor.
Uther, vowed to slay 100 Skaven every 7th day.
The Baron, fought against the despicable Count Horlichs of Averland
Angus, fell at Klumti Pass crushed by the bodies of his dead foes.
Kimril Giant Slayer, first slayer and bested the Giant twins Thunderguts and Stormbelly.
Throbin Death-eye, axe polished in blood and a agze that was said to slay with a glance.
Lastro Lupinthrall, cursed to howl at every full moon by a Norscan witch.
Borax Bloodaxe, amassed a fortune that required 5 vaults to store.

And here are the 8 Dwarf Lords of Legend in their painted glory.

Kimril the Slayer, Borax Bloodaxe, King Gorrin, and Angus

Deatheye, Lastro, Uther, and the Baron

Here is Grombrindal, the legendary White Dwarf himself and his 2-handed weapon paladins. 1d4chan has this description:  "He is a mysterious dwarven warrior with an impressively long, white beard who sometimes appears when dwarves are beset by a particularly great and terrible battle, hurling himself into the fray and assuring the eventual victory of dwarfkind." 

Grombrindal and his two hammerer bodyguards.  Every dwarf that fights for the White Dwarf is a paragon of dwarven virtue and these 2 are mighty warriors indeed.

The miniature in the center is Skag the Stealthy.  Im sketchy as to his fluff, but I think I remember reading that he helped avenge the first burning of Bugmans Brewery(?)  At any rate the figure and rules are from the unfortunately named "Grudge of Drong" expansion for 4th/5th edition?

 
I like the little golden pig on that fellas helmet! I shall dub thee Sir Porkins!  
Red 3: "Cover me Porkins!"
Porkins: "Im right with you Red 3"
-Laserfire-
Porkins: "I gotta problem here... I can hold it"
Red 3: "Eject, pull up"
-Sounds of fried bacon-
Red 3: "You will be avenged, Piggy!"

In contrast to Grombrindals heroes, here we have a unit of 10 treasure seeking (arent they all?) mercenary dwarves led by Hodor the treasure porter.

Hodor has a magical treasure chest that has a spell of Holding on it.  It can carry 100x its size thanks to its magically enhanced interior dimension. (hmm thats beginning to be my explanation for everything on this blog. Ahhh, im a lazy writer, what of it?)
Hodor: "Hodor says, you stunties get more gold for Hodor!"
Do these sell-swords care for nothing unless its shiny and/or tasty?


Han:" It is for me, sister. Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, Princess. I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money."
Leia: "You needn't worry about your reward. If money is all that you love, then that's what you'll receive."
[to Luke]
Leia: Your friend is quite the mercenary. I wonder if he really cares about anything. Or anybody.
[she stalks out]
Luke: [calling after her] "I care."

Four more gold loving hoarders

So, off they go, the 8 Dwarf Lords Of Legend, Grombrindal with his paladins, and Hodor with his mercenaries.  They entered Moria through the Western Gates and have been travelling eastward in search of fellow dwarves.

King Gorrin has been leading the expedition from the front alongside Grombrindal.  Never far behind is Hodor, who is always on the lookout for treasures.  Wait! what is that shiny-ness ahead? Is it gold, is it danger?

Oh, its just Gimli and Baron Hawk who are looking for clues as to the whereabouts of Balin, Lord of Moria.

Another merry meeting filled with tales (and probable lies) of daring and bravery.  Gimli asks Grombrindal and King Gorrin if they have seen any signs of Balin or his colony.
King Gorrin: "Why yes, we were about to explore that mysteriously glowing room above yonder staircase."
Gimli: [looks around at the collective heroes] "Lets investigate this together, Lords of Legend! Are you all with me?"
All:  "Aye"
Baron Hawk: "My wee birdy smells danger ahead!"
Grombrindal: "Is that code for something?
King Gorrin: "Cover me Porkins!"

Buttercup: "Thats the fireswamp! We'll never survive"
Wesley: "Nonsense! You're only saying that because no one ever has."

And as the great assemblage of heroes peer into the mysterious room...

The screen fades out.

Oh, dont you just hate cliffhangers!?!?
Will our heroes survive the dangers of the mysterious room?
Tune in next week for another tale of most probable doom, or at the very least some definite woe...

Cheers,
Mar




No comments:

Post a Comment